Backdating housing benefit

If you are experiencing difficulties paying your rent, or you have got into arrears, you may need to make sure you request backdating for an earlier period. Pensioners can have their Housing Benefit claim treated as made up to 3 months earlier, without the need to request backdating.

Read the instructions the rules on backdating benefit below.

The officers can also assist you with the completion of any council benefit-related forms that are needed.

We usually need to see the following items of proof: Housing Benefit is usually paid from the Monday following the date we received your application.It is highly recommended that you don’t delay making a claim just because you can’t get the proof we need.Similarly, if you're finding out how to claim on someone else’s behalf as they're unable to use the internet, you can contact the Visiting and Welfare Team to enquire whether a home visit will be possible.020 8227 2567Before we can award any Housing Benefit we must see proof of yours and your household’s circumstances.This means you must also provide proof when your circumstances change so we can recalculate your Housing Benefit award and continue paying you.You have one calendar month from the date you make a claim to provide the proof.

If you can’t provide the proof within one month you should contact us to query whether alternative proof can be provided.

If you are unable to use the internet we strongly recommend asking your friends or family to help you complete a claim form.

Our visiting and welfare officers provide an advisory service to customers in the comfort of their own home.

In special circumstances, we may be able to backdate your claim.

This means that we can pay you Housing Benefit from an earlier date than when you submitted your claim.

To qualify for Housing Benefit backdating you must be able to show that: For example, if you were in hospital and made a claim as soon as possible after leaving hospital, we would treat this as continuous good cause.